Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector, Amanda Spielman, has announced some of the changes Ofsted plans to make to the schools inspection framework.
As well as the headline ‘overall effectiveness’ grade, Ofsted currently make judgements on four categories for all schools:
- effectiveness of leadership and management
- quality of teaching, learning and assessment
- personal development, behaviour and welfare
- outcomes for children and learners
There are additional categories for schools with early years or sixth form provision. Ofsted plan to alter these categories to be:
- quality of education
- personal development
- behaviour and attitudes
- schools’ leadership and management
The aim of these changes are to move Ofsted’s focus from headline data to how schools are educating pupils and the substance of the curriculum. A formal consultation on the new draft framework will take place from January with implementation planned from September 2019.